Amrit Dhaliwal bought the SureCare Oxfordshire franchise almost three years ago after seeing first-hand how vulnerable elderly people can be in our society.
When Amrit Dhaliwal bought the SureCare Oxfordshire franchise almost three years ago he had 30% of the funding he needed in savings. He needed help to raise the other 70%.
"The SureCare team in head office were so helpful throughout the process. They helped me put together my business plan, worked on cash flow projections with me and then put me in touch with NatWest.
Finding a business friendly bank that knew the care sector was hugely important. It can be nerve-wracking asking a bank to support you in a new business venture.
It was important for me to find the right sort of loan and I reviewed lots of options such as an overdraft, factoring and a straight loan before opting for a direct loan. Today, the company is expanding rapidly and I’m currently considering factoring as a flexible way of helping me to further grow the business.
Using a chartered accountant was also extremely helpful. It cost me a few hundred pounds but it was reassuring to have expert advice on planning ahead for the next 18 months of the business".
Gary Farrer, Managing Director of SureCare, said:
"We are able to provide ambitious people with funding packages to help them make their franchise dream a reality. We can also provide any accountancy and legal support that new franchisees might require".
Amrit doesn’t come from a care background but became interested in running a care franchise after looking after his grandfather.
He is one of SureCare’s youngest franchisees and started his career in recruitment after graduating from Keele University. He went on to run an award-winning English tea room and restaurant in Richmond.
Amrit, 28, felt drawn to starting a SureCare franchise after seeing first-hand how vulnerable elderly people can be in our society.
"I don’t come from a care background but became interested in running a business in this sector after caring for my grandfather. I saw how difficult it is for older people to continue to live on their own without day to day support.
I like the ethos of SureCare which is all about providing clients with the highest possible quality of care. It allows me to run my own successful business while also giving back to the community.”
He said: “I was always keen to run my own business and the sales and marketing skills I learnt from my previous jobs continue to help me massively.
I have lots of business experience, but the care sector is different. You can make a living, but you also gain the fulfilment that comes from improving people’s lives.
Getting into care with a franchise is easier than starting up alone. I had no care background so the franchise helped me get set up.
It’s reassuring to know that support is there if I need help with compliance issues and paperwork. That frees up tome to focus on quality care".
Though Amrit has 15 care staff, he still provides care himself:
"Having the time to spend with customers is vital. One of my clients Colin Colman loves Scrabble and I make time to have a game with him after I’ve given him his shower and breakfast.
Another customer, a lady in her nineties with dementia, always loved to cook but is no longer able to. She loves being around the kitchen so she sits in the kitchen and chats to me, watching me cook for her.
Making enough time for each individual is incredibly important and can have a tremendous impact on the quality of their care. You might be the only person they see that day, and if you can be relaxed, calm, interested and smile you can light up their life".
28th August 2015
Paul Brandrick runs SureCare Cheshire East
19th June 2017
Two New Franchise Operators Join The SureCare Network
21st September 2017
The right time to start a homecare franchise business